Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

Tux Redux

     

Tim and Marvin
 For some strange reason (probably my over-sentimentality) I have the shirt my brother-in-law, Tim wore in my wedding.  I kept coming across the garment, never wearing it, but not being able to get rid of it.

The groomsmen and ushers at my wedding
       So when I found it in the closet the other day (with a strange stain that magically appeared), I decided it needed to earn its keep!  (A hot wash with bleach took out the stain.)


    I tried it on, and it was pretty bad- I mean a men's extra large for a 5-foot-4 woman doesn't really work.  My initial thought was to make a dress  (with ruffles- my wardrobe needs something with ruffles), but I quickly realized any dress I made would be WAY too short for work!  (Yes, I am wearing shorts in the photos below, but they seem to have disappeared because my shirt is so big!)


    Punky was in a "mood" that day and these were the best before pictures I could get.  Oh well, I guess that's what I get for having a 7-year-old photographer!




     Here's the end result:
             I turned it into a more "girly" blouse with hidden darts in the front (under the placket) and more darts in the back.  The skirt was another re-make that had no sentimental reason, I just loved the fabric!  It was a funky just above the ankle, but not quite a maxi skirt length.  My photographer was still grouchy, so I will tolerate these photos.  (Anyone want to volunteer to my free, on demand, photographer?)






PS:  I found some more "hey, Mrs. V's" written in my gradebook from last year.  I'll post some more for back to school fun this week.  I can't believe summer is already over!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

What a cute top! I can't believe you refashioned that shirt! Amazing.

RebeccawithanR