Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Sometimes they just make my brain hurt

I have two female students that I have had for several classes- they are both quite boisterous and often jokingly make fun of each other.  They both feel that one of them has a bigger butt, and the other has bigger breasts- and these often become the focus of their jokes.  This was the most recent debate that occurred for about a week, and it seemed like I was the only one who heard the unintended implication.


"Your booty is the size of Saturn!"
"Well at least my boobs aren't the size of Uranus!"


The frequent back and forth of the "Saturn Butt/ Uranus Boobs" (yes they were calling each other that) lasted for about a week until I finally interrupted the argument in class one day.

"Do you not realize the innuendo of that statement?"
"What's that mean?"
"An innuendo is an unintended statement, usually with a less than wholesome meaning."

One of the girls said it out loud slowly one more time, paused, and her face turned pale.  Then she broke out into an outrageous laughter.  Slowly, a couple other students realized what she had said and joined in.  After explaining it to the first girl, who finally got it in when they said it slowly and with extra emphasis.



I don't know if it is worse that I was the only one who heard what they were saying as raunchy, or that they didn't recognize how their statement sounded.  No one in the school had said anything about it and it was said many times over the course of the week!

No comments: